Monday, May 17, 2010

Potato Harvest

I have never really been a big fan of Potato Harvest. I just hate working all day every for extremely long hours and I never really had any friends working for us because they used to be too young to work. But the funnest time I worked in Potato Harvest was when I was a Junior. We had the funnest crew. Austin, Kyle, and Preston worked out in the field and Emily, Mataya, Belen, and Hannah picked clods and Jo and I drove trucks.
The first day we started, I was getting the last load in the field for the day. When I was driving up to Austin's digger, him, Kyle, and Preston were all standing out by Austin's tractor. I knew something was up. So when I pulled up, they all started throwing dirt clods at my truck. I was going to get out but I knew that they would kill me. So I just sat safely in my truck with my window rolled down. One of them hit my mirror and the dirt went everywhere! It was all over me. So they finally decided to get back to work and I took my load back to the cellar.
The next day we worked, all of the guys were telling me I was going down. So I told all the girls at back at the cellar and we decided we would get them back. It was war.
When we were getting ready to be done for the night, Emily, Jo, and I got a lot of mini potatoes and hid them in our sweatshirts so we could throw them at the boys when they put their tractors away. When they started coming in, we were trying to sneak up on them so we could hit them with our potatoes. They saw us so they were trying to run away and find some potatoes they could throw at us. We hit them a few times and they were still trying to find things to throw at us. They found a few potatoes to throw but they missed us. Then one of them found a crowbar and started chasing me around the tractors. Thank goodness Jo was there because she threw a potato at him and then we escaped.
Then the next night, Emily, Mataya, Jo, and I found a bunch of small potatoes again and waited by our shop for the guys to get there so we could get them again. When they got there, they went into the shop with the door open and they were trying to fix something on one of the tractors. We all got into our positions and started attacking them again. They were trying to find things to throw at us again and then they shut all the doors and locked us out. Then we found another way to get in and we were hiding behind the tractor. Then Mataya threw a potato at Preston and hit him on the back of the head and the potato broke into pieces. It was so funny.
So we kept that going for pretty much all of spud harvest. It was so fun. That was definitely one of the funnest spud harvests that I have worked in.

0 comments: